To read this blog:

The most recent post is at the top of this page.
If you're new to this blog, and you want to get the whole story in order,
scroll down to the very first post called "Day 0: Our summer ends..."
and then work your way back up to the top.
(Trey's posts are black text, and Chris' are blue text)

Please leave a comment!

Below each post, click on the word COMMENTS to leave a message associated with that post.
You may comment anonymously if you don't have a Blogger or gmail account,
but please leave some clue as to your identity in the message. Thanks!


Day 261: "I know it was you Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart."

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - Well, it's been a week since Mady's old port broke off and circulated through her heart, coming to rest on top of her lung... to me the most bizarre and scary incident that has occurred since the initial leukemia diagnosis.

How does a 3 1/2" piece of a port break off? No clue. The tubing is silicone... a practically indestructible material in my experience. How does it make it completely through her heart without getting hung up on a ventricle or the inner-heart wall? I have no idea. But the biggest mystery to me is how a doctor was able to guide a catheter through her thigh, up to her chest, into her heart and out the other side, down to the top of her lung where the broken-off tube was lodged. Then, he had to enclose at least half of the broken tube, tighten the catheter's grip on it, and slowly pull it back out through her heart, down her side, and out her thigh. He guided the catheter entirely by watching a real-time x-ray, and he did it in 13 1/2 minutes. Whew.

The "10% chance" that going in or out of her heart might have caused an arrhythmia that could have required a permanent pacemaker was particularly frightening. And how do they come up with 10%? How often does this happen to a 14-year-old girl that would allow them to gather enough data to determine accurate probabilities? I think the answer is that 79% of all statistics are made up on the spot, of course. There was a small chance of a particularly bad outcome... and we're so thankful that it turned out okay.

Mady now has a new port in a more traditional location just below her right breastbone (the old one was centered on her chest at her sternum). She told us the other day that she was thinking about naming her new port (we suggested Newport), and said her old port was now "dead to me"... and I'm pretty sure that's part of a classic quote from The Godfather Part II, in which Michael Corleone delivers the line to Fredo, the older brother who betrayed him.

Chris thinks I'm crazy, but I'm still hoping to get that 3 1/2" piece of the wayward port to keep for posterity. How many people can hold a thing that has passed through their heart... twice? I'm hoping I can procure it without having to find a horse's head... -tk


13 comments:

dr2chase said...

A friend (childhood friend's husband) showed up for his new radiology job in Connecticut years ago, and on his first day had to fish a similar piece of equipment-turned-debris out of a heart chamber where it was just rattling around.

They've been doing this for years, which doesn't make it any less scary. But that's how they know "10%".

Unknown said...

You guys are all so amazing and strong. It's so great to see your sense of humor is stronger than ever, too.

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing story. I have told another friend (Pat H.), and she was in disbelief (exceptional for Pat to be awed, as she has trekked through the jungles of Cambodia by herself, etc.). You are in my prayers daily. I LOVE YOU! J,F,T

Anonymous said...

Very scary-so glad everything went so well. Mady had been through so much, as well as, the rest of you.
Hope you are outside enjoing this beautiful day.
Love you,
Andrea

trey, liked "Newport"!!!!!

Jane Sherwin said...

So, my question, you brave family, is when are you going to publish your book, who's your agent, and can we expect to see you on Oprah. I'm not kidding. You have the stuff of dragons. We love you.

Trey & Chris said...

I did a double-take and had to laugh when Mady, in casual conversation, referred to her old port as "Fredo" today... --Trey

Anonymous said...

Maybe this just goes to show that Mady truly has a big heart! Just like the rest of her family.

jeri

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Reading all of this makes other problems pale in comparison - we love you all - I agree - Mady's heart must be HUGE!!!

Aunt Misty

Mum said...

I am so glad to read that you are okay Mady and that your surgery was a success.
I have just been telling my son (also ALL) about your ordeal and he shouted at me to "shut up", started gagging then ran away.
Yup I think its safe that your wandering port grossed him out - BIG TIME!
Take care kiddo!

Lou Cuevas said...

I will make you an offer for that port .....
One that you cannot refuse !

See you in August

Lou & crew

Anonymous said...

Like all the other readers of the blog we remain amazed that "the adventure continues" with such breath taking events. Wow. And that Mady already has the humor gene working by naming the errant wandering port. Too good.

We read and pray and hold all of you in our loving thoughts.

Hugs all around,

Connor and Donna and Charlotte in TX

Anonymous said...

Talk about the slings an arrows of outrageous fortune. Glad you are on this end of that "fishing" job and hope you are feeling more comfortable by now.
The Feskes

Anonymous said...

You truly amaze me every time I read a new entry. I cannot imagine the new things you are discovering (not really wanting to-I know). We are always thinking of you and want you to know you are always in our prayers.
Love to you all! The Farringtons