To read this blog:

The most recent post is at the top of this page.
If you're new to this blog, and you want to get the whole story in order,
scroll down to the very first post called "Day 0: Our summer ends..."
and then work your way back up to the top.
(Trey's posts are black text, and Chris' are blue text)

Please leave a comment!

Below each post, click on the word COMMENTS to leave a message associated with that post.
You may comment anonymously if you don't have a Blogger or gmail account,
but please leave some clue as to your identity in the message. Thanks!


Vegan Panacea

A few months ago, a friend gave us the book The China Study, a book that traces the correlation between meat and dairy laden diets (aka the typical American diet) and cancer and heart disease. The China Study turned my nutritional knowledge upside down. What I thought was a good healthy dinner, was not.

I read the book in 3 nights and became convinced that this would save my child, our family from cancer. I purchased all types of milk alternatives like soy, rice, almond and flavored soy milks to taste test them and decide as a family what would work best for us. My family are big milk drinkers. Trey goes through a few gallons a week on lattes. M and J and I drink 1% and go through a few gallons a week too. We changed from milk with dinner to orange juice, and soy milk tastes like cereal milk so that wasn't too difficult. I stopped cooking with cheeses, and as I use cheese to flavor everything, this took some effort. Since my children stopped eating any types of meat a year or so ago, the meat part wasn't all that difficult to give up (there was the occasional piece of bacon at Grandpa Dick and Nana Helen's).

After taking out a few vegan and vegetarian cookbooks from the library, and changing some of my favorite recipes to vegan, we have created a recipe file that really is starting to work. When we go out the girls will order pizza, or something with cheese. That's fine too. This change was not about being the perfect vegan. It was about changing my cooking so my children get most of their nutrients from plant based foods and less than 10% from milk/ cheese/ eggs/ meat products. And in this we have been successful.

When I read the book, I literally glowed with the thought that this would be the panacea for the cancer. Since then, I have read that vegetarians and vegans are less likely to have cancer, but not much less likely. The risk decreases by say 20-40%, and that's great, but it's not 100%. Last Thursday at clinic, Mady's doctor mentioned that a boy brought up on a vegan diet, never using a microwave, using glass containers and iron skillets has bone cancer. So although she rained on my panacea parade, I needed to hear it. This is one aspect of a many headed monster, most of which is unknown. So we will continue our vegetarianism, but not sweat the occasional ice cream. And I really hope it helps.

Here is a surprise favorite. A recipe for Harira, a lentil soup modified slightly from the book A Taste of Morocco by Robert Carrier.
4 tbs olive oil
1 large Spanish onion peeled and finely chopped.
generous 1/2 c lentils (I use canned lentils)
1/2 c chickpeas
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon
1/4 tsp powdered ginger, saffron
1/2 diced sweet red pepper
salty and black pepper to taste
8 c water
generous 1/2 c rice
1 package active dried yeast
2 Tbsp chopped fresh green cilantro
4 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
4 large ripe tomatoes, chopped (I have used a large can of chopped toms and it's still terrific)
lemon quarters (a must)

Saute the onion for 5 minutes, add the legumes, spices, red pepper, saute for a few more minutes, add the water, let simmer for 1-2 hours. Cook rice and add cooked rice to soup. Dilute yeast in a little of the soup broth and add to soup. Stir in cilantro, toms and parsley and cook for 15 min. Serve with lemon quarters.

9 comments:

Chris Arthur said...

Joce, For the longest time, I cooked the things everyone liked, but the cancer-panacea thing made me try different things. And we have served fish a few times since we started. Dinner now usually consists of a grain (rice, quinoa, pasta)or a vegan burger/ bean burrito with a fruit and green salad sides, or a soup with fresh bread from Iggys. I recently cooked a sweet potato soup that I would never have tried and I am surprised that everyone loves it. Sometimes, no one loves what I have cooked- but that happens anyway. I've made a few meals that we have called 'food' because that's all it was. I think it's harder to reach 'cuisine' sometimes without cheeses and cream sauces but I really think this is important, so we are trying. That adage, "if the cook's cold, everyone puts on a sweater" works in my house- and since I believe this may reduce my daughters risk of more cancer, I have a stronger impetus to cook this way. And really, I hope it helps- but do I know? I don't, no one does. It's very frustrating. I think the nuances are frustrating too. Too much iron? Too much C? Are soy products OK- do they stimulate estrogen? It's mind boggling- and this is without any talk of meat/ fish/eggs/dairy. If you know any books that you thinki I should read, send along the names. THX.

Chris Arthur said...

Also, Mady would say that she "hated" the book at first, the change was so all encompassing and not to her taste at all. I think she is more on board with it now. For her, and for Julia, mentioning the conditions of the milk cows helped- they are vegetarian in the first place not for health concerns but because of their moral concerns with eating meat. I think we may try and visit and dairy farm this year jsut to strengthen that association.

Chris Arthur said...

I agree about the nutritional content. We were at first so excited to be making vegan choc chip cookies. Hello????

Lou Cuevas said...

33 years and been to many of those places and back ! Chinese diet, Mediterranean, Indian, macrobiotic, ... People will always debate the positive/negative aspects of food as long as we associate a given result with it, whether it comes from a scientific or religious source. But there's just too many individual factors to make it predictable. Do the best you can, but avoid getting stressed by it, healthy eating is all about eating with a healthy mindset. ( getting off soapbox)
yours in fine dining, Lou

Cousin Sam said...

I got this vegan cookbook for my mom for Christmas...it got great reviews! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1600940706

Anonymous said...

I made the lentil soup after I read your post last week. Shared it with a friend. Today is beef stew day. However, I put in HALF the amount of meat I usually do, and doubled the veggies. And a vegetable stock base! Yeah! So, we are inspired and learning, too.
Love ya, JTF

Anonymous said...

Just tasted my "beef stew". I am now beginning the era of
'Hint-O-Meat' soups! Thanks for the heads up on a new approach to eating in our home! XO, JTF

Mike Serio said...

Dear Trey, Chris, Mady and Julia

Regarding diet, my wife, Rebecca has a history of severe food allergies and she has done alot of research regarding diets. We stopped eating most diary products years ago as a result. We have found a healing diet that has some excellent recipes called the Body Ecology Diet. It is a highly restrictive diet, but, based on our experience, it simply works. We don't follow it strictly, but, I often will make recipes using the principles and the good news is that the recipes (except for the 'dessert' substitutes :) are very tasty. Rebecca or I would be very happy to talk to you more about this if you are interested.

Mady said...

Yeah, um, you are crazy, I am totally convinced.

MK