To read this blog:

The most recent post is at the top of this page.
If you're new to this blog, and you want to get the whole story in order,
scroll down to the very first post called "Day 0: Our summer ends..."
and then work your way back up to the top.
(Trey's posts are black text, and Chris' are blue text)

Please leave a comment!

Below each post, click on the word COMMENTS to leave a message associated with that post.
You may comment anonymously if you don't have a Blogger or gmail account,
but please leave some clue as to your identity in the message. Thanks!


Worrying Constantly

Yesterday I brought Julia to the dermatologist for a skin rash/ hyper pigmentation on her knuckles after googling possibilities all weekend, and thinking that it must be a form of melanoma. Her doctor assured us it's not melanoma, but a stain from juicing limes (weird but true) followed by sun exposure. A few weeks ago I thought I lost Trey in the surf at a beach in San Diego. There I am, epitomizing The Scream in high def, and there is Trey, joyfully watching beach volleyball (more than 2 people had looked for him there). The week prior I was worried about Madeline having swine flu, or pneumonia. I bathed the house in rubbing alcohol.

Yesterday, Madeline complained about her sight, something that was a precursor to the leukemia diagnosis. I have also noticed that she seems to have lost some of her mojo, another herald, and she seems tired. I have googled relapse, and walked through all of the information. I am trying to pretend that this is not serious either. I have called Dr. Friedmann. Calmly, she said that if her sight worsens, she should see an opthamologist next week. I am trying to balance her calm words with the apocalyptic vision that is happening in my brain. I want her to be OK. I want my family to be OK.

I wish the movie My Sisters Keeper never came out. I don't want to hear about a little girl in a nonexistent scenario fighting for her right to not give her sister help. I want to see the real stories about the survivors, and the people (ornery sisters included) who gave bone marrow willingly, the ones who make life possible. I have a real story. I play soccer on a +40 women's team. One of the women knew about my daughter and mentioned that many years ago, pre children, she saw a request in her Temple bulletin about becoming a bone marrow donor. She signed up, gave a sample and was positively matched with a little girl. Years later at the girls bat Mitzvah, my friend was lauded. This girl is now in college and doing well. My friend said that giving bone marrow hurt. She had to wear skirts for 2 weeks to allow for the ice pads she put on her hips (that's where they take the bone marrow), but 2 weeks of ibuprofen and ice were easy in comparison with what the little girl went through. All of you healthy people out there, please sign up as a donor. http://www.marrow.org/

Please be OK. Please. Those are the words I write in a notebook daily. Please be OK. Please get through this ____ (LP, exam...) and be OK. It has been almost 2 years since Madeline was diagnosed. Please let her get through her protocol. Please be OK!!

6 comments:

Stephanie Woerner said...

Chris, I have had the hyper-pigmentation thing happen to me. It takes a tightly coupled set of circumstances to occur but it does happen. The dermatologist at the college clinic was so excited that he took photos for his med school lectures.

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Sending you much love and doing it in hyperdrive. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE, J

Anonymous said...

we love you and are pulling for you! Gp&E XXXXOOOO

Jeri said...

Chris - can you believe that Aidan had the finger pigmentation too! The derm we saw called it "margaritaitis" it happens to those squeezing limes for tasty cocktails - fortunately Aidan was just making limeade (he was 10). He was shown around the office as a perfect test case - and she made each dr. try to guess what was going on.
My heart goes out to you and Trey and I'll add my voice you your prayer for everything to be OK. Jeri

Anonymous said...

I live in that world of Constant Worrying about my son... usually steals a day or two away from me a month (sleepless nights included).. I'm not sure I will ever get past it, but when I find myself there - I find a good friend to talk to...

Anonymous said...

Chris, I'm sending you a hug right now. I'll be thinking about you. Hope the extra-worry phase ends soon, be good to yourself. Love, Kathy Genet