To read this blog:

The most recent post is at the top of this page.
If you're new to this blog, and you want to get the whole story in order,
scroll down to the very first post called "Day 0: Our summer ends..."
and then work your way back up to the top.
(Trey's posts are black text, and Chris' are blue text)

Please leave a comment!

Below each post, click on the word COMMENTS to leave a message associated with that post.
You may comment anonymously if you don't have a Blogger or gmail account,
but please leave some clue as to your identity in the message. Thanks!


Day 458: Over the Hump Day!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - I was floored when we first found out that Mady's chemo treatment for leukemia would last for 2 1/2 years. Then I learned from Dr. Friedmann that this duration offers the highest chances for complete cancer remission, based on decades of studies.


In the early days of pediatric leukemia protocol, when no leukemia cells could be found in the patient's blood after a few weeks--treatment would end. Unfortunately, one or more undetectable surviving cancer cells would often allow the disease to return with a vengeance. Over the years, doctors increased the duration of the protocol, with great success. 2 1/2 years of treatment turned out to be the magic number, returning a 70 - 80% cure rate. They tried even longer durations, up to 7 or 10 years, but these did not increase the cure rate beyond the 2 1/2 year plateau.

So, 2 1/2 years it is.

And why is today Hump Day (besides being Wednesday)? Well... today, 458 days after her original cancer diagnosis, Mady is officially half-way through the 2 1/2 year protocol. Barring any complications that temporarily suspend her treatment, Mady will take her last pill 458 days from today. We're on the downward side of the hump! Woohoo!

Thanks for sticking with us Family and Friends... we couldn't do it without you!

14 comments:

Lilli Smith said...

Indeed, hump day is a major mile stone. Congratulations Maddie and family for looking at the glass half full! I'm still pulling for you - I've thought about you everyday for the last 458 and definitely will for the next 458...and beyond!
Love,
Lilli

Chris Arthur said...

hump day? WHATTTT???? How about "over the hump" day. Love you, your wife.

Anonymous said...

What delights me is how well Miss M looks, and how adult her voice is, and how well she is growing up. Continued amazement and joy!

Jane

George said...

Great... this is very informative. Reading your blog give me more insights about my own daughter's situation.

Thanks and more power !!!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy Hump Day: Now you are on the down hill slide. Always happy to hear from you and keep crossing off the days. Much Love and prayers for the next 458 days. Lad and Bev from Fl.

Anonymous said...

Hump day is my favorite day of the week!

so much so that i wrote a song in honor of Maddy!

(well not so much wrote a song as copied the lyrics from the Black Eyes Peas)

My Humps"

What you gon' do with all that junk?
All that junk inside your trunk?
I'ma get, get, get, get, you drunk,
Get you love drunk off my humps,
Humps, my humps, my humps, my humps, my humps,
My humps, my humps, my humps, my lovely little humps (Check it out)

Happy HUMP day!

Anonymous said...

Hi.
I haven't visited this place for a while. But I thought I'd stop by.
So happy hump day!!!
Happy halfway done!!!

~~Stephanie~~

Anonymous said...

HUMP day, Trey? I agree with Mom, it is a little explicit. See you in the near future.

Your daughter,

Madyk

Anonymous said...

Oh and I'd appreciate it if you took out tht embarrassing photo of me open-mouthed, not even staring at the camera, form going to Purgatory Chasm.

-madyk

Anonymous said...

Okay Mady dear... I have taken out the Purgatory Chasm photo and replaced it with a Grand Canyon photo! :-)

--Dad

Anonymous said...

This gives Christmas and Camels a whole new meaning. Congratulations Mady! This is a terrific milestone. Enjoy the holidays.
Love, Martha

Anonymous said...

Joy,Joy,Joy! Over the Hump, Oh Boy! XXXXOOOOGP&E

Anonymous said...

You are in our thoughts! Love you!!!!J,T,F

Anonymous said...

But for boys it's 3 1/2 years.

Congrats Mady!

Shelley in Canada